Dear All,

tomorrow I am leaving for Gdansk to attend a conference on contemporary Scottish literature (John Burnside, Alan Riach, and Alan Spence will give readings) which is why I will not be able to participate in the discussion, but please continue. I hope you agree that this is exactly what we need - an open discussion about prize culture.

Peter, this is exactly why I copied the shortlists into my mail and just in case I have not stressed it, and I am sure you know, my congratulations to you and Tony.

Carrie, even if two nominees were first published in the US and afterwards in the UK, my criticism is still valid. The great majority of British prizes are administered with a closed-shop policy - only British publishers are eligible, whereas my suggestion is
author-centred - "born in Great Britain or Ireland, of British or Irish nationality, or long-term residents in Great Britain or Ireland", and one could certainly discuss "long-term" and have something like "resident for 3 or 4 years" instead.

With very best wishes from Salzburg,
Wolfgang