ALDBROUGH  not far from Hull  - could there have been a Wilberforce connection? *********************************JAN MARSHhttp://janmarsh.blogspot.com/********************************

     On Sunday, 11 October 2015, 13:49, Susan Bolton / Jeffrey Green <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

 The latest two pages on my website "jeffreygreenhistorian" are a guest submission by David Stuart-Mogg on George Watteau the African gardener of Chiselhurst in Kent, who worked there for seventy years, and a report on my investigations into Agnes Foster or "Mother Foster" who was instrumental in establishing the Salvation Army in 1880s Jamaica.
Agnes Foster was born in Jamaica in the 1820s and is supposed to have spent over forty years in England. Her farmer husband and their four children have been located in the census and so has a grand-daughter living in Bedminster in 1891. The family was based in Aldbrough on the Yorkshire coast, a village suffering from severe coastal erosion and currently having 1200 inhabitants. This is a most unexpected location for a black family, surely?
Any advice welcome!
Jeff Green