Act, as well as other measures, to take over the ownership or management of important community assets in their area.

The report recommends that BAME organisations are skilled up in order to create a more level playing field to ensure they are in a position to bid to take over land or buildings for community use.

[ENDS]

A Place to Call Home – Community Asset Ownership in the African Diaspora Community is being launched at an event at 639 Enterprise Centre in Tottenham on Thursday, October 1.

For more press information or to request interviews please contact:

Victoria Huntley, Media & PR Officer on 020 7336 9410, 07812 745701 or [log in to unmask]

Lorna Harris, Media & PR Manager on 020 7336 9436 or [log in to unmask]

For further information about the Ubele Initiative or Project Mali please contact:

Yvonne Field on 079 1810 7964 or [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]

About Locality

Locality is the national network of ambitious and enterprising community-led organisations, working together to help neighbourhoods thrive. Our network is a strong, collective voice inspiring community action to create a fair and diverse society where local people determine their future together.

Locality is running the My Community Help Centre with resources, inspiration and advice on the Community Rights, Neighbourhood Planning and Our Place. It is leading the Community Organisers programme mobilising people across England and Locality is campaigning to improve public service delivery in its Keep it Local campaign.

Find out more about Locality and becoming a member on Locality’s website. Follow us: @localitynews and facebook.com/localityUK

About The Ubele Initiative

The Ubele Initiative (www.ubele.org) is a new intergenerational not for profit organisation which aims to increase the capacity of the African Diaspora community to lead and to create innovative and entrepreneurial responses to stuck social issues.  A Place to Call Home is the first major report of Ubele’s Project Mali – which focuses on asset (people and spaces) development. Mali is the Swahili word for ‘value’ and in the context of this project means ‘Someone or something of value to our community’.

Yvonne Field
Social Change Agent and Facilitator
Founder, The Ubele Initiative
Senior Associate, Reos Partners
Churchill Fellow, 2012
Call UK: +44 (0) 791 810 7964
Call SA: +27 (0) 762 444 074
Website: www.ubele.org
Skype: YvField
'I don't compare what I did with what I  am yet to do'. Maya Angelou, 1928-2014