CFP: Making practice perfect: approaches to everyday life in Roman archaeology

Saturday 30th January 2016, UCL Institute of Archaeology

Abstract deadline - Friday 30th October

The ‘Making practice perfect’ workshop is a one-day event focussed on ‘practice theories’, organised into three sessions: ‘Structuration and related traditions’; ‘Practice theory and materiality’; and ‘Comparative perspectives’, in which we want to pursue dialogues between Romanists and archaeologists of other complex societies. The Theoretical Roman Archaeology Conference is a long-established and highly successful fixture of the conference calendar for Romanists and others in the UK and beyond. This inaugural TRAC Workshop is a new kind of event designed to complement the annual conference by providing an in-depth investigation of a particular topic in a more informal format which mixes traditional paper presentations with group discussions and activities.

We invite offers of 15-minute papers for any of these three sessions, particularly those which foreground case-studies in the application of relevant approaches. Titles and abstracts of up to 250 words should be sent to [log in to unmask], by 30th October, though prospective speakers are also welcome to contact us to express interest and discuss their contribution. We particularly welcome contributions from postgraduate students, and from non-Romanists interested in engaging in the ‘comparative perspectives’ session. Keynote speakers for the sessions will be Andrew Gardner (UCL), Astrid Van Oyen (Cambridge), and Bill Sillar (UCL). Registration to attend the event will open at the start of November.

Organisers: Andrew Gardner (UCL) & Lisa Lodwick (Reading)

Email: [log in to unmask]

Website: http://trac.org.uk/events/workshops/practice-theory-2016/