Dear colleagues,
we are proposing a panel at the Anthropology, Weather and Climate Change
conference, organised by the Royal Anthropological Institute.
The conference will be held 27 to 29 May 2016 at the British Museum, London.
For details see:
https://www.therai.org.uk/conferences/anthropology-weather-and-climate-change-2016

We are very much looking forward to hearing from people interested in the
following topic:

Anthropological perspectives on the Alpine region - Local interpretations of
current climate issues and the relationship between land, people and water

In the last decades, anthropological work in the Alpine region has been
surprisingly scarce compared to the 1960s and 1970s when several ethnographers
worked in this area. In this panel, we would like to gather current
anthropological expertise on the Alps and in particular on local concepts and
interpretations of recent weather conditions and climate change. How does this
change impact on the landscape and on the way people live in this landscape?
What about the relationship between people and land; be they farmers or people
that work with or care for land in other contexts. How do inhabitants
of this mountainous region manage water and how do they assess the phenomenon
of receding glaciers (Strauss 2009)?
We think that the anthropological and ethnographic perspectives on these
issues need not only more visibility but should also make stronger
contributions to the interdisciplinary discourses of researchers and policy
makers on this topic. In this panel we thus also hope to clarify the
contributions anthropological and ethnographic research methods can make to
the understanding of climate change in the Alps and to communicating this
knowledge to local and international institutions and political bodies.

for more details on submitting a proposal see:
http://www.nomadit.co.uk/rai/events/rai2016/panels.php5?PanelID=3823
and
https://therai.org.uk/2015-02-23-09-53-45/call-for-papers

Please contact us if you have any question.
Best regards,
Almut and Elisabeth

* A postgraduate project comprising online journal,    *
* online discussions, teaching and research resources  *
* and international contacts directory.               *
* To join this list or to look at the archived previous       *
* messages visit:                                             *
* http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/Anthropology-Matters.HTML   *
* If you have ALREADY subscribed: to send a message to all    *
* those currently subscribed to the list,just send mail to:   *
*       Enjoyed the mailing list? Why not join the new        *
*       CONTACTS SECTION @ www.anthropologymatters.com        *
*    an international directory of anthropology researchers
*
* To unsubscribe: please log on to jiscmail.ac.uk, and            *
* go to the 'Subscriber's corner' page.                                  *
*