Deputy Director of Administrative Data Division, Office for National Statistics (ONS)

Salary Circa £70,000
Titchfield or Newport

About the role

As the leading producer of official statistics, we play a unique role in informing debate and improving decision making across the country. With a data revolution underway, we’re building brand new capabilities to exploit administrative data and “Big Data” for the production of National Statistics. These modern data sources will sit at the heart of our collection and processing operations, enabling us to deliver bigger, better and more robust statistics. Statistics that confidently and consistently shape national policies and decision making across the UK. It’s an incredibly exciting time for ONS, as you’ll be instrumental in delivering our vision and strategy for UK statistics – ‘Better Statistics, Better Decisions’.

As a key leader in the ONS Data Collection Transformation Programme, you’ll be at the forefront of developing fundamental changes to the way we access, manage and utilise administrative and big data. Here you’ll work closely with the Chief Data Scientist and Chief Technology Officer as you transform our statistical system, and enable the use of integrated data from a wide range of sources. As we move towards using a greater variety of datasets, quality and quantity will vastly differ, so you’ll collaborate with a range of senior colleagues and stakeholders to develop new statistical methods, analysis tools and infrastructure. You’ll understand what data exists, how it might be used in research and work across government to help define and implement national data standards that are fit for the future. Building and managing strong relationships with data suppliers and across government will be vital, as you ensure new datasets are compliant with relevant legislation. In this transformational role, you’ll be at the very heart of creating the infrastructure that will see the biggest changes to the way we work in over 200 years.

SIGNOFF allstat