A reminder that the Royal Statistical Society Manchester Local Group is holding a meeting tomorrow (Wednesday 21st October 2015) at The University of Manchester.

It will feature a seminar by Robert Grant (Kingston University & St George's, University of London), and the opportunity to participate as a group in the next RSS webinar which will be broadcast in the lecture theatre.

The venue is the Blackett Lecture Theatre, Schuster Building, Brunswick Street which is building 54 on the campus map (http://www.manchester.ac.uk/discover/maps/interactive-map/)

All are welcome, and there is no need to book in advance.

Wednesday 21st October 2015

14:30 – 15:30      “New tools and trends for interactive data visualisation, or, Robert's adventures in D3 land”

Dr Robert Grant, Senior Lecturer in Health & Social Care Statistics, Kingston University & St George's, University of London

http://www.robertgrantstats.co.uk & @robertstats

Over the last few years, I have been fascinated by the rapid growth of techniques and formats for graphical displays of data and statistics. In particular, interactive web-based graphics holds great promise for our profession, as we are better known for our calculation than our communication, so I set out to learn how this could be done, and to pass on the tricks to my peers. As a statistician, this auto-didactic journey was not always an easy one (and is not finished yet), as I encountered a variety of strange tribes (like front-end developers) talking languages I did not understand (like JavaScript). However, once I had acquired a little vocabulary, I found their methods to be no great mystery or mental challenge, though the results might look like magic, and the community is more active and supportive than I was used to. After explaining the basics, I will propose some specific challenges for statisticians, such as user-testing, depicting uncertainty, understanding design, and being understood by designers. This area is now one of the biggest growth areas around data analysis and it deserves specific funding for methodological research. There is a great deal going on in the private sector, but academically it tends to fall between statistical methods and communicating science.

15:30 – 16:00      Refreshments

16:00 – 17:00      “Frequentist accuracy of Bayesian estimates”
Presented by Bradley Efron, Max H Stein Professor of Humanities and Sciences, Professor of Statistics at Stanford University.

Discussant: Andrew Gelman of Columbia University.

Chair: Peter Diggle, Lancaster University and President, Royal Statistical Society

Full details: RSS Webinar

Best wishes,

Richard

Dr Richard Emsley | Senior Lecturer in Biostatistics | Centre for Biostatistics | Institute of Population Health

The University of Manchester | Manchester Academic Health Science Centre

1.304 Jean McFarlane Building | Oxford Road | Manchester | M13 9PL

@BiostatsUoMan

Chairman, Royal Statistical Society Manchester Local Group

SIGNOFF allstat