Lancaster University's School of Computing and Communications is looking to appoint a Lecturer in Data Engineering.

For further details and to apply online: http://hr-jobs.lancs.ac.uk/Vacancy.aspx?ref=A1380

Informal enquiries to: Head of School, Prof. Jon Whittle, ([log in to unmask])

Lancaster’s School of Computing and Communications integrates the University’s long-established research and teaching activities in computer science and communications systems.

As part of an extensive and ongoing investment programme in data science, we now wish to appoint a Lecturer in Data Engineering. The School of Computing and Communications was recently ranked 7th in the UK in terms of “world-leading and internationally excellent” research by the UK government’s REF2014 evaluation. The School is currently home to around 50 academic staff, 40 postdoctoral research staff, 100 PhD students and 400 undergraduate and taught Masters students.

The School has an annual research grant income of around £5M. The School’s research spans the following general areas: communications systems, computer networking, distributed systems, data science, software engineering, cyber security and human-computer interaction. We take a leading role in university-wide multidisciplinary centres such as Security Lancaster, a centre for cybersecurity research. In particular, the School is a core part of Lancaster’s new Data Science Institute which represents a major strategic investment by the University. The institute is committed to a broad range of cross-disciplinary data science work and the successful candidate will be expected to engage with the institute to become part of Lancaster’s growing data science community.

We seek a ‘rising star’ in core computer science aspects of data, that is, in the software infrastructure for handling large, complex or novel data sets. Indicative areas of research interest include: machine learning for large-scale data, data visualization for large or complex data sets, integration of data from heterogeneous sources (text, images, signals, video, etc.), data storage and management. However, exceptional candidates working in any area of data engineering may apply. You should possess a strong and growing international reputation and excellent international publications in relevant top conferences and journals. Teaching is equally important to us; we expect all candidates to be committed teachers and to contribute to the development of our portfolio of courses, including our international partnerships. We currently teach a very popular MSc in Data Science and, in the coming years, there will be plenty of opportunities in curriculum development for forward-thinking and innovative teachers.

Informal queries about the post can be directed to the Head of School, Prof. Jon Whittle, ([log in to unmask]). We welcome applications from people in all diversity groups.

SIGNOFF allstat