Dear Daniel,
It's been over a decade since I looked into the motion correction code.
With hindsight, I would guess that the optimal amount of smoothing should
depend on the separation between sampled voxels and the amount of noise in
the images.  The separation should also be as small as possible - although
this is likely to slow things down.

A slightly different model should be used for dealing with larger, or
anisotropic, voxels - similar to the types of approaches used for
resolution recovery in baby brain imaging.  Again, this would slow things
down even further.  Then there are other aspects to deal with, such as
distortions (EPI as well as motion of the brain-stem) and the noise not
being i.i.d Gaussian.  Also, some of the noise in the motion correction
model is the actual signal of interest in other steps in the analysis
pipeline.

One day, I might have the chance to revisit at motion correction and make
it better, but this would largely be a thankless task.  Proper exploration
of motion or other confounding effects (explanations of the data that are
not related to the "question") is often not regarded as proper neuroscience
(see the bit about rats and mazes in
http://calteches.library.caltech.edu/51/2/CargoCult.htm ).

Best regards,
-John