I think empiricism would be the way to find out what works best for your data.  I'd guess that if you can achieve a nice segmentation of the EPI, then you are probably better off estimating the alignment based on these data.  What works best is likely to depend quite a lot on whether your EPI are spatially distorted.  If the are distorted, then (rigid-body) aligning them with a structural scan is unlikely to work well.

Best regards,
-John