From: Zeidman, Peter <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 19, 2015 8:33 AM
To: RADMAN Narges; [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: ROIs for DCM

Hi Narges,

There needs to be some experimental effect in your ROIs for the DCM to explain. If there isn’t, then the DCM won’t fit the signal. There’s nothing special about any particular statistical threshold – you just need to convince yourself there’s something interesting going on that is worth applying DCM to. Often, people look for a group-level effect and extract the individual subjects’ ROIs in the corresponding locations at a very liberal threshold.

So, try using masks from the literature, and see if you get significant results. You can sanity check your models by checking the explained variance (spm_dcm_fmri_check()). Note that when you extract ROIs using the ‘eigenvariate’ button, the cursor will jump to the nearest peak which could be in another brain region. So make sure to set the threshold significantly liberally that you activated voxels in your ROI.

Best,

Peter