Hi Donald and Ellen,

     Thank you very much for your helpful clarification on this issue.

Best,
Chunliang

发件人: "MCLAREN, Donald";<[log in to unmask]>;
发送时间: 2015年9月28日(星期一) 上午8:52
收件人: "SPM"<[log in to unmask]>;
主题: Re: [SPM] negative beta values in many brain regions

Negative values means that the task activity is lower than the implicit baseline activity. This is quite common in the default-mode network regions.

Best Regards,
Donald McLaren, PhD

On Sat, Sep 26, 2015 at 4:11 AM, 春亮 <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi all,

    Does anybody have a clue why beta values are negative in many brain regons?

    In our experiment, there are multiple events in a trial (ev1: 1s; ev2: 1s; ev3: 6s), and the jittered ITI between trials was between 1~7 s. In our GLM, we modeled the onset of each event and their durations, with the jitters as implicit baseline in the model. However, we found negative beta values in many brain regions, including anterior insula (AI), dmPFC, vmPFC and precuneus. For AI and dmPFC, there are positive values in some conditions; whereas for vmPFC and precuneus, values are negative in all conditions. What possible mistakes in the data analysis could lead to such activation patterns?

Best,
Chunliang