You couldn't make it up?  But you just did. In the 10 years or so of
working with Patrick at Liverpool I cannot recall him ever saying that
Merseyside workers need to have their wages cut to compete with third
world countries. What he was specifically concerned about, along with
many others, was the 'unemployment trap'  -- the then narrow gap between
incomes in and out of work.  He considered this a work disincentive --
eroding the motivation on the part of the unemployed to take up a job.
He advocated the widening of the gap by reducing the level of benefits.
Which of course brought him a lot of stick, especially from the poverty
lobby -- including sociologists and social policy academics.

Paul Ashton
http://www.eastb.freeserve.co.uk/Paul-Ashton/

On 26/09/2015 22:18, Moore, Robert wrote:
> Thanks to all who replied - I am now better informed and will pass the info to my Japanese colleague.
> Minford took a dim view of government investment in Merseyside, his attitude was, I think, that wages needed to fall until Merseyside workers could compete with third world competitors. Then jobs and investment would flow back into the region. You couldn't make it up ....
>
> Robert
>

> Professor Robert Moore
> School of Sociology and Social Policy
> Eleanor Rathbone Building
> The University of Liverpool
> L69 7ZA
>
> Telephone and fax: 44 (0) 1352 714456

Please note that if you press the 'Reply' button your
message will go only to the sender of this message.
If you want to reply to the whole list, use your mailer's
'Reply-to-All' button to send your message automatically
to [log in to unmask]
Disclaimer: The messages sent to this list are the views of the sender and cannot be assumed to be representative of the range of views held by subscribers to the Radical Statistics Group. To find out more about Radical Statistics and its aims and activities and read current and past issues of our newsletter you are invited to visit our web site www.radstats.org.uk.