From: A forum for critical and radical geographers [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Manuel Aalbers
Sent: 23 September 2015 07:28
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Fwd: [CPERN] Fwd: End of social sciences and humanities in Japanese Public Universities

fyi

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mariya Ivancheva <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 2015-09-22 10:51 GMT+02:00
To: [log in to unmask]

Dear colleagues, please read the text below and and consider signing the petition.
Thanks in advance,

Mariya Ivancheva
UCD Equality Studies Centre
www.irc-equality.ie // https://ucd.academia.edu/MariyaIvancheva

From: Smith, Andrew <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Date: Monday, 21 September 2015 10:57
Subject: future of social sciences and humanities in Japan

Dear Fellow Academics,

Japan's current education minister is intent to closing all of the humanities, economics, law, and social science departments in the country's public sector universities, which include University of Tokyo, Kyoto University, and indeed most of the other elite, research-intensive institutions. The jobs of many of our Japanese colleagues are at stake, since most Japanese business historians work in the affected departments.

Here is a link to the Times Higher Education Supplement story about the closure of social science and humanities departments in Japan.

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/social-sciences-and-humanities-faculties-close-japan-after-ministerial-decree

The specious justification for the closure of these departments is financial cost. There may be another agenda at work. We believe that this petition, which is addressed to both the Minister of Education and Prime Minister Shinzo Abe may be effective since Japan's ruling party is divided into rival factions, not all of which shares the anti-intellectual or ultra-nationalist views of the current Minister of Education.

Please share this important petition with all of your contacts.

https://www.change.org/p/hakuban-shimomura-shinz%C5%8D-abe-reconsider-the-closure-of-social-sciences-and-humanities-faculties-in-japan?recruiter=386259020&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink

Please note that my support for this petition reflects only my views. The petition does not represent the views of the University of Liverpool.

Many thanks,

Andrew

Andrew Smith
Director of Studies, International Business
Lecturer in International Business, University of Liverpool Management School.
University of Liverpool Management SchoolUniversity of Liverpool
Chatham Street,  Liverpool L69 7ZHUnited Kingdom.
Office: GE13
http://pastspeaks.com/about/