From: psci-com: on public engagement with science [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Dominic McDonald
Sent: 30 September 2015 09:51
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PSCI-COM] convincing data linking economy to STEM graduates?

Hi Wendy

What an interesting question (much more interesting than the other things I have to do this morning).

Unfortunately, I don’t think you’re going to find this in a convincing form, because your question begs a number of other questions. Here are a couple that spring immediately to mind:

-       What is a STEM graduate? Can we get comparable data from different countries? In this country, Geography (for instance) sits in a very ambiguous position.

-       As the article that you pointed us to suggests, what is the likely time-lag between someone graduating and them having a meaningful impact on the economy. It’s definitely measured in years; it might be measured in decades.

-       What is the impact of immigration? In the UK, we are a net importer of people with graduate level skills, so there are lots of graduates who were not produced by the UK education system, but who might well have a positive impact on the UK economy. The converse is true in a country which is a net exporter of graduates.

-       How do we cope with countries with different types of economy. We might expect the impact of STEM graduates would be different in a country whose economy has a strong primary sector (eg Canada, Australia) compared to one without (eg the UK).

So I think even if you could get a nice neat correlation, then I think you would have to hedge it round with so many caveats that it would become meaningless. My feeling, therefore, is that this isn’t something we can realistically “prove” in any meaningful sense. It has enormous rhetorical power, but I wouldn’t scratch the surface of it too vigorously.

Dom