Well, Bok has a book The Xenotext, out this fall around that experiment, & it hold be very interesting, as he is never less than that…

https://www.chbooks.com/catalogue/xenotext-book-1

Doug
On Sep 3, 2015, at 9:14 PM, Max Richards <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On Sep 3, 2015, at 20:00, Bill Wootton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Fascinating, Max. Protein-rich poetry! The link is to ecocriticism, what you intended?
>
> both Kac and Bok extraordinary here, but - is it art?
>
>> yes, the quotation is from the review…
>
>> Cheers,
>> Bill
>>
>> On 04/09/2015, at 5:07 AM, Max Richards wrote:
>>
>>> Dickenson focuses on poetry that draws on avant-garde and experimental precursors such as Alfred Jarry and John Cage. Particularly striking is the section called “Transgenic Poetics”, looking at figures who manipulate proteins and DNA as part of their practice, such as the artist Eduardo Kac, who once famously created a luminous albino rabbit by splicing a jellyfish protein into its genetic material; or the poet Christian Bök, who worked with scientists to translate a poem into a genetic sequence that was then inserted into a bacterium’s genome. Bök’s poem, “as a set of genetic instructions, causes the organism to produce a protein which, according to the chemical code used in the experiment constitutes another legible poem”.
>>>
>>> http://www.the-tls.co.uk/tls/public/article1601431.ece

Douglas Barbour

Recent publications: (With Sheila E Murphy) Continuations & Continuation 2 (UofAPress).
Recording Dates (Rubicon Press).

	Done in by creation itself.

I mean the gods. Not us. Well us too.
The gods moved into books. Who wrote the books?
We wrote the books. In whose dream, then are we dreaming?

		Robert Kroetsch.