For me design theory today is an evolving image that is coming into focus.
I think of it as a:

Theory Place

When asked if he had discovered gold in the new world, the great Spanish
explorer, Coronado, supposedly replied,

łAlthough we did not find the gold for which we sought, we found a wonderful
place to look for it.˛

Such I believe is also the case for late-modern design theory.  I think we
have found an especially promising place to look for it.  There are, richly
and increasingly, a number of useful maps and guides for how to get there,
but I think they are all pointing - at least roughly - to the same
conceptual region.  Here is my personal GPS set of directions to this theory
place:

If you take the ontological road of axiology that I call valuing and meaning
to where it intersects with the ontological road of epistemology, or more
objective ways of knowing, you will have reached this late-modern theory
place.  I call it late-modern because it acknowledges both the possibility
and the necessity of complementary ontological points of view.  Without the
former, one wouldnąt know what was desired or why something needed to be
done.  Without the latter, one wouldnąt know how or be able to do it.

The image of a crossing or intersection conceptually portrays a region that
becomes whole through the interaction of multiple ontological perspectives,
where each reacts to and integrates the significant formative influences of
the other.

Beyond the incidence of ontological intersection, the geography of this
theory place captures the spatial consequence of that meeting, which is the
creation of a dynamic poetic region, a culturally situated and conditioned
field where people and their agents are immersed and engaged in desired
situational transformations, and where all manner of meaningful artifacts
become forged and expressively brought into being by and for their owners.

Photographically,

Jerry

On 9/22/15, 2:54 PM, "Charles Burnette" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> On Sep 21, 2015, at 9:09 PM, David Sless <[log in to unmask]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> 6. Does the theory provide plausible evidence that it can do useful work in
>> the world?

Yet it would be slighting the task of theory building to belief that on an
intellectual or even cultural level what it elaborates adds nothing to
understanding or knowledge - even if that is exclusively theoretical. We
need theoretical thinkers even if they canąt draw, use the best rendering
software, solve real world problems, produce exemplary outcomes, or convince
anyone of anything. The life of the mind is an environment in itself and
should be supported, its propositions tested, and its potential uses
critiqued. People with different understandings are essential to any
understanding.

--
Jerry Diethelm
Architect - Landscape Architect

    Prof. Emeritus of Landscape Architecture
           and Community Service € University of Oregon
    2652 Agate St., Eugene, OR 97403
    €   e-mail: [log in to unmask]
    €   web: http://pages.uoregon.edu/diethelm/
    €   https://oregon.academia.edu/JerryDiethelm

    €   541-686-0585 home/work 541-346-1441 UO
    €   541-206-2947 work/cell