Dear Terry,

My apologies if I misinterpreted the reason you posted the review. You wrote earlier that you had tested 40 years of design theory. I misunderstood this as an example. I’ve probably said everything useful that I have to say, so I will go into lurk mode for a while.

Yours,

Ken

Ken Friedman, PhD, DSc (hc), FDRS | Editor-in-Chief | 设计 She Ji. The Journal of Design, Economics, and Innovation | Published by Tongji University in Cooperation with Elsevier | URL: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/she-ji-the-journal-of-design-economics-and-innovation/

Chair Professor of Design Innovation Studies | College of Design and Innovation | Tongji University | Shanghai, China ||| University Distinguished Professor | Centre for Design Innovation | Swinburne University of Technology | Melbourne, Australia

—snip—

> You are making things up.
>
> I've written this before about you making up things that don't exist in a discourse  in order to make your side of the argument look better.
>
> In this case, in the post I wrote I agreed with you that it takes a lot of pages to review the design research literature. Nothing else. I then gave some evidence that reviewing the design literature can require  a lot of pages  by posting the reviews that I'd done in 1996. Their purpose was to show only that it takes a lot of pages even to do an overview of the literature.
>
> (As an aside,  in  response to your comment about superficiality, these reviews had a specific purpose . They  provided a broad overview for the first time of  the integration of social, environmental,  ethical and technical factors   in designing as a human process; and the spread of meanings allocated to the terms 'design' and 'design process' . Naturally, they were superficial rather than deeply analytical of the theories:. There purpose was to provide  an overview - in time sequence.)
>
> Nowhere in my email did I claim that they were proof of the mess in design.
>
> That you made up.
>
> You do that a lot. In that post I'd already drawn attention to you making up false information  in your earlier email comments on the 2000 paper on the Meta-Analysis tool.
>
> You are not alone in this. I suggest we need more generally to improve the precision  of thinking and analysis. There is a  widespread tradition  of imprecise thinking  in  the design theory community. Carlos often drew attention to the problem across discussions ,  and I'd welcome having him back on this list not least for his awareness of loose thinking. I'd be grateful for more precise thinking from you.
>
> On a different tack and as a contrast, Chuck has been brave enough to put forward several of his papers. Yippee! I'm looking forward to reading them.
>
> Many years ago, a motorcycling journalist writing on rear suspension behaviour commented they would trust the quality of design of a shaft drive more than  a  chain drive. Why? Because designing a shaft drive for a motorcycle is technically more difficult so it requires the designers to think carefully and that echoes through into all aspects of the design.
>
> Chuck has been designing design theories at the difficult end of things - in the realm of human creative cognition and drawing on current research from cognitive neuroscience. They will be fun to read.

—snip—