> Because there is a design process to constructing an effective photograph,
> should the photography not be considered a design in the same way as other
> artistic outputs using the same concepts?

Hi Jonathan and all,

I agree with you Jonathan.

But I definitely do not want to get into the debate about whether or not what photographers do is design. A long time ago (circa 1980) I taught a course on the history and theory of photography. I also wrote a number of papers on the subject around that time and devoted a chapter in one of my books to the subject. I don’t think there were any serious researchers or critics at that time or subsequently who took the naive empiricist view of photography. Photography was always viewed as something constructed through culture, with all the attendant issues of authorship, intention, signification and contexts of use. As such, I cannot see the need to debate about whether or not photographs can be designed.

Just my couple of cents worth.

David

David