Hello,

One of the interesting things about creating design theory is looking at
boundary conditions - what is best regarded as being included in the concept
of design activity and what is not.

Three questions that seem to not yet be well answered:

1.       Do photographers design?

2.       If so, what specifically is the design process that is used and to
what does it apply?

3.       What is the output of the design process?

Clearly, the output of a design process isn't a made object. That would be
craft or art.

I'm wondering whether photography got included in the design disciplines
because of its association with art  and because graphic designers use
photographers as part of their process (but that of itself isn't suffficient
to define something as design activity - I vacuum the floor of my office but
that doesn't make the vacuum cleaner a designer).

Then the question is in terms of design theory, 'Should photography be
regarded  as a design discipline?' Same question of course also applies to
illustration.

This is the reverse side of the same arguments  that suggest  service design
and other new design fields should be regarded as design activities.

Best wishes,

Terry

--

Dr Terence Love

PhD (UWA), B.A. (Hons) Engin, PGCE. FDRS, MISI

Love Services Pty Ltd

PO Box 226, Quinns Rocks Western Australia 6030

Tel: +61 (0)4 3497 5848

Fax:+61 (0)8 9305 7629