HI Luanne,

We have a call out for any road kill to come into the museum (sometimes links with parks teams can turn up regular bodies for osteology prep), we use CITES confiscations  for free educational use, if someone donates an object e.g. a turtle shell from their deceased relatives with no data, that goes to education collection and I believe that some people check in with pest controllers (not the most ethical way of getting a specimen but at least it's a use for an animal that has been killed anyway).
All not very reliable or predictable ways to gather a collection quickly I'm afraid!

Some butterfly houses or local animal sanctuaries may be interested in giving you any animals that have died of old age etc. The zoo here lets us have shed skins of various tropical insects and spiders to use and bird feathers that have dropped off non-CITES birds.

Otherwise I use bone clones or osteological replicas - these have the bonus of being ethical and are durable but obviously there's a cost involved.

Hope that’s helpful!

Best

Bonnie Griffin
Curator: Natural History
0117 9223 596

Exhibitions at Bristol Museums Galleries & Archives
Modern Art in Britain: Reality Questioned Bristol Museum & Art Gallery, 17 Jan —31 Aug 2015
New York City Apartment/Bristol Bristol Museum & Art Gallery, 28 Mar—27 Sep 2015
William Hogarth: Painter and Printmaker Bristol Museum & Art Gallery, 16 May - 31 Aug 2015
Karl Blossfeldt: Art Forms in Nature Bristol Museum & Art Gallery, 4 Jul - 13 Sep 2015
Nature, Camera, Action! The secrets of making incredible wildlife films M Shed, 18 Jul – 1 Nov 2015
Forward to Freedom Bristol Record Office, 28 Jul – 16 Oct 2015

Coming up:
death: the human experience Bristol Museum & Art Gallery, 24 Oct – 13 Mar 2016

Summer opening hours 2015:
The Red Lodge Museum, The Georgian House Museum, Blaise Castle House Museum

See what’s on: bristolmuseums.org.uk

Follow us on Twitter:
@bristolmuseum | @mshedbristol | @bristolro | @redlodgemuseum | @blaisemuseum | @HouseGeorgian

Become a fan on Facebook:
Bristol Museum & Art Gallery | M Shed | Bristol Record Office | Blaise Castle House Museum

Follow us on Instagram:
@bristolmuseums