Probably showing my ignorance but how well do the replacements for Flash work now that iPhone users get the keys to their Javascript settings?

-----Original Message-----
From: Museums Computer Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ben Rubinstein
Sent: 18 September 2015 14:58
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: What now Flash is dead?

Hi Mike,

By no means a complete answer, but I'd suggest in most cases I'd ask either "why wouldn't we use HTML5 here?" or "why wouldn't we use video here?" (with a suitable codec, eg if it's an animation). Only if there was a reason to rule both of those out would I look elsewhere.

In regards to the-kinds-of-interactives-we-used-to-build-in-Flash, if the reason not to use HTML5 is lack of suitable level programming skills, there are tools - the one I'm somewhat familiar with is Hype [1] - which give a very Flash-like authoring interface, and deliver in HTML5.  Definitely worth a look for people who were previously happy to create Flash interactives.

My 1p (sale now on)

Ben

[1] http://tumult.com/hype/

On 18/09/2015 14:49, Mike Ellis wrote:
> So Flash is dead, or at least in a ditch, slowly taking a last breath..
>
> One of many articles...
>
> http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/aug/24/adobe-flash-dying-am
> azon-google-chrome
>

> The question is - what replaces it? If you've got some in-depth stuff
> you want to show - mechanisms in old objects, how guns fire, zooming
> into clock workings - ...how?
>
> Is it WebGL? Is browser compatibility good enough? Is the capability
> there? Is it fast enough? Ok on mobile?
>
> Or... video?
>
> Or is the whole "interactive" thing a thing we need to re-think?
>
> Any good examples, thoughts....?
>
> Mike

       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg
This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and may also be legally privileged. They are intended solely for the intended addressee. If you are not the addressee please e-mail it back to the sender and then immediately, permanently delete it. Do not read, print, re-transmit, store or act in reliance on it. This e-mail may be monitored by Bolton Council in accordance with current regulations. This footnote also confirms that this e-mail message has been swept for the presence of computer viruses currently known to Bolton Council. However, the recipient is responsible for virus-checking before opening this message and any attachment. Unless expressly stated to the contrary, any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of Bolton Council. http://www.bolton.gov.uk

       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg