Dear Colleagues

We would like to draw your attention and to encourage you to submit an abstract to our session at the upcoming "32nd Nordic Geological Winter Meeting" (Helsinki, Finland, 13-15 Jan, 2016).

Session title: Imaging and modeling geological structures from microscopic to orogen scales

DescriptionModern imaging methods at different scales allow the quantitative characterization of bedrock, offering new opportunities to model geological structures in 3-D. A range of 2-D and 3-D methods have been developed to visualize nanoscale textures in rocks to orogen scale structures. For example, lab- and synchrotron based X-ray computed micro- and nanotomography are emerging techniques to precisely image the interior of rock volumes in 3-D. On the other hand, ''structure from motion'' based aerial photogrammetry, airborne LiDAR and terrestrial laser scanning, high-resolution geophysical (gravity and magnetic) images and seismic profiles are popular imaging tools in geological mapping and 3-D modeling. We solicit contributions to this session on imaging technologies from field-based, experimental, analogue and numerical research at all scales. Advancements in analytical imaging techniques (e.g., SEM, EPMA, LA-ICP-MS) related to microtectonics are also welcome!

Deadline for abstract submission: 19 October, 2015
For further details, please visit the meeting website: http://www.geologinenseura.fi/winter_meeting/
Programme: http://www.geologinenseura.fi/winter_meeting/programme.php

Best wishes,
(Conveners)
Mohammad Sayab, Geological Survey of Finland, Espoo, Finland ([log in to unmask]).
Pietari Skyttä, University of Turku, Finland ([log in to unmask]).