Dear all,

Thank you all very much for your replies, on and off the list. Most of the feedback has been very detailed and I really appreciate the time and effort put in. You have certainly given me lots to think about and some valuable papers that I need to read. Of course, it’s no surprise that there isn't a unanimous answer, but now I have a lot more information that will help me to weigh-up the different scenarios and decide what is most sensible to use in my work.

Thanks again!

Richard Palin

Lecturer and Postdoctoral Research Assistant,
Institute of Geosciences,
Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz,
Becher-Weg 21, 55128 Mainz, Germany

http://www.staff.uni-mainz.de/rpalin/

“Rocks are records of events that took place at the time they formed. They are books. They have a different vocabulary, a different alphabet, but you learn how to read them.” – John McPhee