Hi Hanneke,

I finally looked into the images. For some reason none of the contrasts files that came included the interaction, and I wonder if this was on purpose or by accident (?). In any case, using the modified (but equivalent) model proposed in the earlier email, with and without the interaction term, the results are essentially the same. I named them models A and B:

Model A:
EV1: intercept
EV2: group (+/-1), mean-centered
EV3: risk (+/-1), mean centered
EV4: interaction: product of EV2 and EV3.
EV5-7: age, sex, scanner.

In this model, the interaction isn't significant, and among the main effects, only the contrast C4: [0 -1 0 0 0 0 0] shows significant results.

Model B:
Same as Model A, except that EV4 was removed. In this, the only contrast with significant results is C3: [0 -1 0 0 0 0].

Both contrasts, i.e., C4 in Model A and C3 in Model B, correspond to a negative main effect of group (pat < con). Both gave very similar maps.

I wonder if the issue wasn't that the contrast files weren't entered correctly in the initial model, i.e. the interaction wasn't actually done, but instead just the 4 positive and negative comparisons of effects of group and genotype. Could this have been the case?

All the best,

Anderson

PS: I'm sending the relevant maps in a separate email; they are small, but not enough for the list server.