Hi Geoff,

On 20 September 2015 at 16:32, Geoff Rosen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Can one take F-tests, from example from basis functions, to the second
> level? If so, are there any considerations relative to taking up t-tests?

The F-tests can't go higher directly but there is a workaround. Please, see
this post <https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=FSL;1f8aa5a8.1406> by
MJ.

> And a related question. When setting up models with multiple basis
> functions (e.g., FIR) versus the standard gamma HRF plus the temporal
> derivative term, why when setting the contrasts, does the former
> automatically create the appropriate F-tests with a 1 in each basis
> function column, while the latter does not?  Is that because the temporal
> derivative term is normally an "unwanted component"?

I think the time and dispersion derivatives are indeed treated as nuisance.
However, if you want, you are free to include them in the F-test, along
with the main effect.

Cheers,

Anderson