Hi Jay,

In the paired t-test, these subject-specific EVs should definitely be
included, because the test is strictly whether timepoint1 differs from
timepoint2 for each given subject, and as such, the means for each subject
must be discounted, which is what these EVs do.

Another way of seeing this is to take the full line corresponding to one of
the timepoints (say, t1) for a given subject, and subtracting it from both
t1 itself, and also t2 (doing that for both sides of the equation). Doing
this does not change the model, and leaves it with, in the left side, the
difference in the measured values, and in the right side a constant in the
main EV (this will be equal to 2 if it was coded as +1 and -1), and a zero
in the place where the subject-specific EV was in the original, making it
empty. Such empty EVs have no effect and are as if they didn't exist. It
will also leave a row full of zeroes in both sides, which is as if it
didn't exist. Repeating the same procedure for all subjects, leaves you
with a one-sample t-test on the differences, with the exact same degrees of
freedom as the original, and giving the same final result (using
sign-flippings).

That said, yes, it is still possible to remove these subject specific EVs
from the original model and keep the shuffling within-subject
(within-block). But then the hypothesis is a different one: it is that
timepoint 2 is different than timepoint 1 across all subjects (i.e., when
all are pooled), as opposed to within-subject. The shuffling within-block
ensures that exchangeability is preserved. It is still a valid and exact
test, but it tells something different about the data. And it can no longer
be called a paired t-test.

All the best,

Anderson