Hi David,

Yes, pre-threshold masking with voxel-level thresholding should be similar
to small-volume correction as in SPM2/5/8 (not sure if things have changed
for SPM12; others in the list could probably tell).

But there will be differences in results, not just because of the overall
modelling of the temporal correlation and estimation of smoothness, but
also because when it comes to RFT, SPM uses the Worsley et al (1996)
equations, that use results for each particular statistic (t, F, z),
whereas FSL converts t and F to z, and uses the equations for z. Also, SPM
takes into account the lower dimensional terms of the expression for the
Euler characteristic; these are much smaller than the one for the 3rd
dimension and are usually negligible, whereas FSL uses the 3rd and (much)
larger one.

All the best,

Anderson