Hyland's paper is a very useful read. In fact, the ESP Journal has a good
many examples of papers analyzing and comparing the language of the
research paper - across and within disciplines. The journal itself, by the
way, is quite comfortable with the passive - in common with the field of
Applied Linguistics in general, on both sides of the Atlantic.
Very interesting conversation - thank you Anne. ( Bet you didn't expect
such a lively response!)

Catherine Richards
PhD student ( Applied Linguistics)
University of Swansea