Dear all,

I was wondering if anyone has come across a board that can be attached to a central steering column of a mobility scooter?

It needs to be able to angle at a slope so that it can be used for drawing when on field trips. The student concerned does not want anything that goes across her lap.  As it will specifically be used for drawing it needs to be attached to keep it stable (as opposed to a lap desk for example) to allow for more accuracy than if using it just to write notes.  The scooter does not have arms fitted, hence needs to attach to central column.  The student will have a practical assistant with her on field trips, so any item can be attached by the assistant, as travelling with anything attached to the steering column would not be a good idea.

Some locations will be outside, so the option to transfer out of the scooter and sit in a chair / at a table are very limited in these locations.

I’ve thought of a portable collapsible ease which could be assembled by a practical assistant, but the student is not keep on this idea – as it would rely on transferring out of the scooter into another chair.

I’m struggling to find of anything suitable, hoping someone else may have solved a similar situation.

Many Thanks for your help.

Ursula Bilson

Centre for Accessability Needs,

Gateway House