Personally, I think narrative is all. So I jot down where I will start,
where I will end (first and last sentence) and bullet-point the route.
Then, based on the timing, I determine if I can cover this in the allotted
time. Once I have enough points to cover, I create pretty slides.

Picking up on Andrewıs tip yesterday, I guess my top tip is that it
doesnıt matter if you speak off the cuff as long as you hit the main
points at the right time. So, for instance, at the last event I spoke at,
which was about FRBR, I knew I needed to be on WEMI by 1:10pm and on OCLC
FictionFinder by 1:15pm, so the actual words to get there could vary, but
the points needed to hit the timings.

If you work to a script, I would also suggest writing timings in the
margin, so you can speed up or slow down as required. When working with
students who talk from scripts, I get them to colour code black every
sentence they will definitely say, pick another colour for sentences they
probably will say and another for things that are just there if they have
time. That seems to work well, and stops them having that dreaded ³5
minute warning² while they still have 10 minutes of stuff to say.

Anne