Like Anne, my initial motivation is often a free place!  I have no training budget so it can be a great way to get to go to these things.  Sadly some smaller conferences though still charge the speaker to attend and can’t provide any help with travel fees though so it is worth checking that before you put your proposal in if it’s an issue.

My workplace are very supportive in terms of offering work time though as they understand it’s good publicity.

I just need to prepare sooner – however much I intend to do the paper ahead of time, it always ends up being just before the deadline!

Jennie Hillyard

@mininglibrarian

Librarian

North of England Institute of Mining and Mechanical Engineers

Neville Hall

Westgate Road

Newcastle upon Tyne

NE1 1SE

+44 (0)191 2332459
www.mininginstitute.org.uk

The Mining Institute is a registered charity and receives no funding from government sources, it is entirely supported by its members.  Any donations towards the expense of maintaining the buildings and collections are gratefully received by cheque to the address above.  We are registered for Gift Aid which means any qualifying donation is worth 25% more to us.

Would you like to receive our newsletter?  Simply reply with “SUBSCRIBE” and we will send you our quarterly update.   Alternatively, if you would prefer not to receive emails from the Mining Institute please reply with “UNSUBSCRIBE”.