From: CIG E-Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Gordon Dunsire
Sent: 08 September 2015 11:09
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [CIG-E-FORUM] Why speak at conferences?

Hi

I remember how nervous I was the first time I gave a presentation. I speak at several international conferences a year now, and I'm a bit better - but I find that a lit bit of nervousness/adrenalin is always better than being too relaxed or cocky.

Some tips:

Obviously: know what you are talking about, rehearse the presentation, remember who the audience are and why they are there.

Do not assume audience size or focus - be careful about jokes and insider information such as acronyms and names; both are two-edged tools.

Watch other presenters, and note the barriers to enjoying their presentations: mumbling, reading instead of speaking (unless you are a beginner :-), speaking too fast, absence of body language and hand gestures, too many hand gestures, slides out of sync with the talk, etc. Then avoid the ones that you can, and let experience help improve the ones that are more difficult.

In international conferences, speak more slowly than usual, and keep the language simple and consistent.

Finally and absolutely the most important: Keep to time. Many great presentations are ruined because they run out of time - the topic may be really interesting and there may be a lot to say, but remember that every other presenter thinks the same!

Do not be disappointed (or relieved!) if there are no questions. I gauge the success of my presentations by the people who come up to talk one-to-one after the session. Many people in the audience, myself included, are intimidated by microphones, catching attention, etc.

Cheers

Gordon

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email, including any attachments, is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender immediately, and please delete it; you should not copy it or use it for any purpose or disclose its contents to any other person. Norton Rose Fulbright LLP and its affiliates reserve the right to monitor all email communications through their networks.

Norton Rose Fulbright LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales with number OC328697, and is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. A list of its members and of the other partners is available at its registered office, 3 More London Riverside, London SE1 2AQ; reference to a partner is to a member or to an employee or consultant with equivalent standing and qualification employed or engaged by Norton Rose Fulbright LLP or any of its affiliates.

Norton Rose Fulbright LLP, Norton Rose Fulbright Australia, Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP, Norton Rose Fulbright South Africa Inc and Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP are separate legal entities and all of them are members of Norton Rose Fulbright Verein, a Swiss verein. Norton Rose Fulbright Verein helps coordinate the activities of the members but does not itself provide legal services to clients. Details of each entity, with certain regulatory information, are available at nortonrosefulbright.com.