Hello, my name’s Alison Harvey, archivist at Cardiff University. I’ve been lurking and reading these tips with great interest!

For years I had huge problems with forgetting to breath properly while presenting – it’s not easy to hold your breath while speaking but somehow I’d manage it! I’d gulp in air and end up delivering my paper with full lungs, in this very high, breathless voice. Any commitment to a slow delivery went out the window. Once I'd heard my voice change and my lungs feel tight, I knew I couldn't risk pausing for breath, because I'd end up panting like I'd run a mile. If this happens to you, try pausing at intervals to clear your throat – in a pinch this will push some of the air out of your lungs and allow you to get back on track.

But nerves are best conquered before this happens, so here’s a few things I’ve found help:

·         Try and say something chatty to the audience or your chair just before your presentation. It can be as simple as a positive comment about the venue, the weather, or a previous speaker. I think hearing my voice out loud in the room, before starting the presentation, helps smooth the otherwise sharp tension and formality shift as I go from sitting quietly in the audience to being the centre of attention, and it really stops my heart racing.

·         You’ll want to cross or hold your arms, put your hands in your pockets, or touch your face or neck – don’t. Even if it feels totally unnatural (it will), make yourself big –  gesticulate and stand with your feet apart, and remember to smile. These performative gestures have been shown to influence the brain’s release of chemicals, raising testosterone and lowering cortisol, making you feel powerful but calm. Amy Cuddy has covered this in her fantastic Ted Talk, which discusses body language and public speaking: http://www.ted.com/talks/amy_cuddy_your_body_language_shapes_who_you_are

·         This was mentioned yesterday – be lively, expressive and enthusiastic even if you’re terrified! Throw any nervous energy into the performance. People are responsive to enthusiasm and will usually smile encouragingly back – it reminds you that regardless of the sea of faces, you’re just in a room with your peers - the type of kind, helpful people who work in libraries and archives, people who are interested in what you have to say, and who are probably very grateful to you for standing up so they don’t have to!

Since I've been doing these, I don't have to do the throat clearing trick anymore, and actually enjoy presenting!