The argument that the absolute change of the unit cell dimensions is
indicative of non-isomorphism depends on the assumption that all the
content of the unit cell behaves as a rigid body. Sometimes this may
happen, but most of the time the unit cell contains multiple rigid bodies
that get rearranged during the unit cell change. If it were pure
contraction/expansion, the non-isomorphism would be much smaller than
based on the logic stated in the previous post. In practice, the
rearrangement of the unit cell will involve rotations and other
(non-expansion) translations of the rigid bodies within. The magnitude of
these changes has only some correlation with the unit cell dimensional
change. For this reason, the argument about non-isomorphism being
correlated with relative change in the unit cell and not just the absolute
change, is not merit-less, but these correlations need to be investigated.

 In particular, crystal packing that builds a unit cell with a long
unit-cell parameter resulting from the formation of a multi-step helix
structure, is a special case in non-isomorphism considerations. In such a
case, non-isomorphism comes from small changes occurring at each step of
the helix. If such a change is a pure translation along the unit cell
axis, the non-isomorphism will be related to the size of the step rather
than the long unit cell dimension change.

For these reasons, in the case presented here, 2A change may represent
quite a range of possibilities in terms of non-isomorphism. Merging-based
assessment is really the only way to know if the amount of non-isomorphism
is acceptable, and the unit cell dimensional change is a rather poor proxy
to make this decision.

Zbyszek Otwinowski

> Actually, the thing that matters for non-isomorphism is the absolute value
> of the change in cell dimension compared to the resolution of the data.  A
> change of 2A is half dmin in this case, so there will be a significant
> impact on isomorphism in the highest resolution shells (which should also
> be seen in statistics from aimless).
>
> To give credit appropriately, I first heard the argument for the absolute
> change being important in a lecture from Kevin Cowtan, where he was
> turning it around and saying that the size of cell dimension change
> determines whether you will get any phase information from multi-crystal
> averaging (where you *don't* want the crystals to be isomorphous).
> However, I think the same point was made in some of the earlier literature
> on MIR, before people (certainly not just Harry — probably more like the
> majority!) got stuck on the idea that the percentage change was the way to
> look at it.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Randy Read
>
>> On 30 Sep 2015, at 10:49, Harry Powell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi

>> Possibly - 0.5% difference in cell edges is not *too* much. I’d try it
>> and see…
>>
>> Harry
>> --
>> Dr Harry Powell, MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Francis Crick
>> Avenue, Cambridge Biomedical Campus, Cambridge CB2 0QH
>> Chairman of International Union of Crystallography Commission on
>> Crystallographic Computing
>> Chairman of European Crystallographic Association SIG9 (Crystallographic
>> Computing)

> ------
> Randy J. Read
> Department of Haematology, University of Cambridge
> Cambridge Institute for Medical Research      Tel: + 44 1223 336500
> Wellcome Trust/MRC Building                   Fax: + 44 1223 336827
> Hills Road                                    E-mail: [log in to unmask]
> Cambridge CB2 0XY, U.K.                       www-structmed.cimr.cam.ac.uk

Zbyszek Otwinowski
UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Dallas, TX 75390-8816
Tel. 214-645-6385
Fax. 214-645-6353