The University of Manchester Library seeks a qualified archivist for a new 3-year 0.8 fte Archivist-Curator role, based at the John Rylands Library.

You will manage and develop access to the Library’s Performing Arts and Visual Art Archives and several hybrid collections encompassing print, archival and visual materials; encourage academic engagement across our Special Collections; and develop ambitious and innovative teaching and learning programmes for students.

You will be a graduate with a professional qualification in archives administration or similar. In addition, you will have excellent communication and team-working skills; be committed to the exploitation of Special Collections for teaching, learning and research; and have experience of teaching and learning and of training staff and students in using special collections.

The University of Manchester Library is one of only five National Research Libraries and the third largest academic library in the UK. Our vast and rich collections help us to deliver a world-class library and information service for The University of Manchester. While our primary objective is to meet the learning, teaching and research needs of University members, we are also fully committed to widening access to our services to individual researchers, local schools and others in the regional community.

You will be joining the Library at a crucial time. The John Rylands Research Institute (established in 2013) is revealing and exploring hidden ideas and knowledge contained within our world-leading Special Collections, and creating an international community of scholars and researchers across many disciplines. Our Audience Development Plan is also driving the strategic improvement of the visitor experience at the John Rylands Library, one of Manchester’s top attractions.

For further information and application form please visit https://www.jobs.manchester.ac.uk/displayjob.aspx?jobid=10376.

John Hodgson
Manuscripts and Archives Manager
The John Rylands Library