Annelise, your medical friend is going to have to let us know more
specifically what he means by 'pathological.' If his interest or specialty
leans toward osteopathy, then he's likely to regard any synostosis of the
skull sutures in a mature animal as pathological, even if the skull is
geriatric.

Besides that, in horses there are many, many examples of pathological
fusion of the petrous temporal bone to the surrounding cranial elements,
and of the upper part of the stylohyoid to the petrous temporal bone.
These have two causes, one being strep infection and the other (I think
more common in domestic equines) due to trauma (usually human-induced
trauma, not kicks to the head).

Hope this is helpful....Dr. Deb