I think I wouldn't try, I'd just follow the major VOs and consider that supporting a VO includes making their CVMFS space accessible. It should be very easy for sites to do, and given the current style configuration which is to load everything from *.cern.ch, *.egi.eu and *.opensciencegrid.org as standard, it may well be no effort at all. In any case, it's certainly less effort for the site than running the old NFS software area.

So, for the VO, I would put the requirement for cvmfs space in the VO ID card, chase up any sites that don't have it, and once you've done that sweep once, you can pretty much forget about software installation management for ever more.

Ewan