SPM Experts,

I am writing in the hopes of obtaining information about the possible effects of MS lesions on the SPM segmentation process, and in turn, the calculation of ICV. Previous literature has shown that sclerotic lesions can interfere with tissue classification during automatic segmentation (lesions mistaken for gray matter, for example). Since I am trying to calculate ICV, I would imagine that lesions will not make a difference here, since I am adding everything together anyway?

However, if I want to use the gray and white matter and CSF masks individually (e.g., for connectivity analyses in CONN), what issues might I run into with sclerotic lesions? Does SPM12 do a better job at accounting for lesions since the ability to add an exclusion mask is no longer available?

Thank you in advance for your kind attention and time,
Cristina