Both PMs and regressors take away variance from the signal. If your regressor was identical to the PM term, then it wouldn't matter if you called it a PM or a regressor.

The key is what are you putting into the model. To put a regressor into the model, you need 1 value per timepoint. By entering 1 value per trial into the PM module, SPM will generate a regressor that has 1 value per timepoint by convolving the stimulus weighted by the PM values with the HRF.

If you had a behavioral regressor with 1 value per timepoint, you could put it in as a regressor and get a contrast value for it. However, I'm not sure how you'd interpret a behavioral covariate at each timepoint that isn't convolved with the HRF as you need something that would align to the BOLD signal (BOLD signal is the neural activity filtered with a hemodynamic response function (not necessarily the canonical HRF).

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Donald McLaren, PhD