Hi Joelle,

I have the perfect explanation right here 😊

Published: April 28, 2015, DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0126255

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0126255
PLOS ONE: Orthogonalization of Regressors in fMRI Models
The occurrence of collinearity in fMRI-based GLMs (general linear models) may reduce power or produce unreliable parameter estimates. It is commonly believed that orthogonalizing collinear regressors in the model will solve this problem, and some software packages apply automatic orthogonalization. However, the effects of orthogonalization on the interpretation of the resulting parameter estimates is widely unappreciated or misunderstood. Here we discuss the nature and causes of collinearity in fMRI models, with a focus on the appropriate uses of orthogonalization. Special attention is given to how the two popular fMRI data analysis software packages, SPM and FSL, handle orthogonalization, and pitfalls that may be encountered in their usage. Strategies are discussed for reducing collinearity in fMRI designs and addressing their effects when they occur.

--
Dr Cyril Pernet,
Centre for Clinical Brain Sciences (CCBS)

The University of Edinburgh
Chancellor's Building, Room GU426D
49 Little France Crescent
Edinburgh EH16 4SB