When I see the observed artifact, it also appears in the Statistic Image
and the ResMS image. The likely culprit for this is subject movement and
its particular evident when you have interleaved slices.

Thus, I would look at a movie and also look at the motion plots. In the
movie, you'll probably see a few volumes that have the striping effect and
then the brain will become homogenous again.

Best Regards,
Donald McLaren, PhD