Hi Hardy/Federica,

One needs to accommodate disciplinary differences here. In some cases, supplementary materials sections within journals (the additional electronic files) would provide all sufficient information to reproduce experiments. These supplementary materials sections would often consist not only of text and sample images as a single pdf, but frequently they do contain other types of data, for example spreadsheets, movies etc.

Here at Cambridge we allow authors to use the supplementary materials sections of the journal to provide information about supporting data. Frequently however, they will use a combination of the two – if their data is bigger than simple spreadsheets (or the journal does not allow them to upload files other than pdf/word documents), they upload data files to our repository, and then link to them from the supplementary materials document.

In terms of long-term availability, since the main focus of EPSRC policy is research data underpinning publications, the assumption is that publications will be available long-term from the journal’s website. So if we trust publishers that they would make publications available long-term (and do not start backing up publishers’ websites), same should apply to other documentation supporting the publication available from the publisher’s website.

Best wishes,

Marta

Marta Teperek, PhD

Research Data Facilitator

University Library/ Research Operations Office

University of Cambridge

e-mail: [log in to unmask]

tel. 01223 333138