If the internet is at its core is a system of record, then it is failing to
complete that mission. Sometime in 2014, the internet surpassed a billion
websites, while it has since fallen back a bit, it’s quite obviously an
enormous repository. When websites disappear, all of the content is just
gone as though it never existed, and that can have a much bigger impact
than you imagine on researchers, scholars or any Joe or Josephine
Schmo simply trying to follow a link.

Granted, some decent percentage of those pages probably aren’t worth
preserving (and some are simply bad information),  but that really
shouldn’t be our call. It should all be automatically archived, a digital
Library of Congress to preserve and protect all of the content on the
internet.

http://tcrn.ch/1NX5wuK
http://tcrn.ch/1NX5wuK+

--