Fascinating discussion both as a topic area and a methodological issue!

Other commentators have focused under what circumstances but I think that
the "for whom" is equally important here. You have those who attend versus
those who do not attend. Those who attend may want it for reinforcement, to
review what was missed through a lapse in attention or unclear, as a method
of revision at exam times etcetera. Those who do not attend want it as a
form of substitution. As Janet points out the time distinction is also
important - there is a big difference between what students say they would
like (hypothetical - in advance of use) and what they actually use.

For me this is a similar issue to student demand for 24/7 opening hours for
university libraries. They all say that they want it and then hardly any of
them use it when available. This is the "Just in case" mentality employed
by many businesses when perhaps what students often want is actually "just
in time". In the case of lecture capture "in time" for assignments, quizzes
etcetera.

Although your question is about lecture capture for face to face students
as Geoff indicates above this is very relevant to elearning as many courses
offer capture of elearning broadcasts. For example our rveiew of workplace
based elearning showed some of the "demAnd" factors for elearning students:
*Carroll C*, Booth A, Papaioannou D, Sutton A, Wong R.  UK Healthcare
professionals’ experience of e-learning techniques: a systematic review of
qualitative data. Journal of Continuing Education in the Health Professions
*2009*; 29(4): 2135-2141
*Carroll C*, Booth A, Papaioannou D, Sutton A, Wong R. Experiences of
e-learning and its delivery among learners who work: A systematic review,
in: Supporting Workplace Learning: Towards Evidence-based Practice eds.
Poell R & Van Woerkom M. *2011*: Springer; New York: pp.47-67.
Booth A, Carroll C, Papaioannou D, Sutton A & Wong R (2009) Applying
findings from a systematic review of workplace-based e-learning:
implications for health information professionals.
<http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-1842.2008.00834.x>. Health Info Libr J,
26(1), 4-21.

Best wisheds

Andrew

--
Dr Andrew Booth BA MSc Dip Lib PhD MCLIP
Reader in Evidence Based Information Practice