This is fascinating, Max, but, really, does not change the meaning of Benjamin’s point, whether or not he was wrong about the actual painting. We make of art what we see there, & Benjamin saw his ‘angel of history,’ upon which he, & many other since, have built a massive metaphysical imagery.

And looking at it, I confess I don’t really see any image of Hitler I would recognize…

Doug