I see what you mean, L. I would say that 'git' is a word I know but rarely hear and even more rarely, if ever, use. It sounds very Steptoe to me, Galton and Simpson wasn't it? It does have a 'force' as you say, implying incompetence born of ignorance but tends to be used in an accusing - and often challenging - sort of way, if ever addressed directly to anyone. Often I suppose it is an epithet of putdownery applied but not directed. There's no way back form being labelled a git. Gittery  is I suppose more associated with beer - and cider - and less with wine, although in Australia in the 70s and 80s, wine was much cheaper by the 5 litre cardboard cask and may well have encouraged gitsome behaviour.

Hoo roo,
Bill