Dear Stephen and Chuck,

Thank you for the information. Very interesting.

However, instead of looking for recipes for improvement, I was after some evidence (beyond individual impressions or outcomes of opportunistic conversations with colleagues) that can show that misalignments between education/practice/research do exist, where and in what forms.

I can give an example. Here is a report done for accounting, based on a broad survey. It lists drivers of change across time scales. If it would also ask about education and research, the comparison would be fascinating, but even the first step is interesting.

http://www.accaglobal.com/content/dam/acca/global/PDF-technical/futures/pol-af-docgl.pdf

I do not disagree with the underlying impression that "design education has not kept up". For one, education or research will always struggle to replicate large magnitudes, of time, space or complexity. The call for this conference alludes to this issue by contrasting "continuous designing" and "micro-utopias".

https://www.academia.edu/13830081/Living_Systems_and_Micro-Utopias_Towards_Continuous_Designing

On the other hand, there are multiple examples of progressive ideas used in education, as a matter of course. This, surely, is domain- and site-specific. E.g., we use broad online collaboration and knowledge sharing, student teams embedded into real projects, full-scale projects with actual clients in actual sites, guerilla projects, student participation in long-term design initiatives (e.g., programming languages), student participation in global creative communities (such as those developing tool-sets for the above languages), etc. I do not even think this is very unusual.

At the moment, I am writing something where I need to persuade experienced others that a radical curriculum adjustment coupled with the aligned research effort is, indeed, necessary. And I was hoping to find some factual ammunition (surveys? meta-studies? statistical analyses? something that does not come to my mind?) to support this.

Stanislav