I would be happy to come back in 2025 or so to explain with all due respect to history why and how the challenge/method oriented NextD Geographies is different in its underlying research and therefore in its intention, purpose and architecture from the "manifesting" oriented ordering system of Richard Buchanan’s "Four Orders of Design" or the earlier “manifesting" oriented ordering system of Richard McKeon’s “The New Rhetoric” 4 categories of rhetoric or Aristotle’s earlier 3 categories of rhetoric but based on this delightful conversation I will be taking a little break from here.
No shortage of categorization systems around but typically the bigger news is what is found within the categories. Some might not like the news. Since we are in the sensemaking business we are certainly well aware that sensemaking is a powerful, not always welcome tool. Not everyone is in pursuit of more clarity. Change is difficult for many. Implying need for change can raise temperatures and bring out best and worst behaviors. No big surprise there.
Since we have as practice leaders been explaining NextD Geographies, its various findings and implications for design education since 2005 in many conferences and schools around the world some might already be aware...but in any case some might find these links below useful.
Have a good summer all.

Always happy to share materials:

Occupy Reimagining Design Education
http://www.humantific.com/occupy-reimagining-design/

When [Old Design Thinking] LOVE is Not Enough
http://issuu.com/nextd/docs/whenolddesignthinkingloveisnotenough

NextD Geographies
http://issuu.com/nextd/docs/nextdfutures2011_v02

Teaching CoCreation Now
http://issuu.com/nextd/docs/_nextd_teachingcocreationnow

The NextD Futures Library can be found here:
http://issuu.com/nextd

The OTHER Design Thinking
http://issuu.com/humantific/docs/theotherdesignthinking/1?e=1209717/5557379

Another OTHER Design Thinking
http://www.humantific.com/another-other-design-thinking/

The NextDesign Leadership discussion group can be found on LinkedIn.

GK VanPatter

Humantific
SenseMaking for ChangeMaking

NEW YORK / MADRID

http://www.humantific.com

6 West 18th Street, 9th Floor
New York City, NY 10011

Subscribe to Humantific Quarterly
Follow Humantific on Twitter and Facebook