From: PhD-Design - This list is for discussion of PhD studies and related research in Design [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ken Friedman
Sent: Monday, August 03, 2015 12:32 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: At the cross section

Dear All,

Perhaps I missed something, but it seems to me that there is a long literature examining how to design organisations, societies, and cultures. As imperfect as this field has been, it dates back roughly 3,000 years to a set of memos that could be labeled the “Egyptian Civil Service Handbook” and to the Guan Zhi in China. This is not a new field, and it is not a new practice. We’ve been teaching this kind of design for many years. I used to be a professor of leadership and strategic design at the Norwegian Business School, where I taught organisation theory and design. If you don’t know the field, you can get a good overview by reading Richard Daft’s excellent, research-based textbook,

http://www.amazon.com/Organization-Theory-Design-Richard-Daft/dp/0324598890/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1438539980&sr=1-5&keywords=Richard+L+Daft

The international edition is available through Amazon UK or other venues

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Organization-Theory-Design-International-Perspective/dp/1408072378/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1438539883&sr=1-3&keywords=Richard+L+Daft

Daft is himself one of the major researchers in the field. This is not a book assembled from everyone else’s work — it is a significant summary by one of the real contributors. Daft provides a significant overview of the issues, along with a serious and useful set of principles for applied organisation design by people who work in practice.

The pointy end of this field is imperfect in practice, perhaps, and it is burdened by many approaches, but the field exists.

Don Norman and Scott Klemmer specifically address these issues in their LinkedIn article on “How Design Education Must Change”:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20140325102438-12181762-state-of-design-how-design-education-must-change?trk=mp-author-card

Don, Pieter Jan Stappers, Ena Voute, Lou Yongqi and I also discuss these issues in the DesignX statement:

http://www.jnd.org/dn.mss/designx_a_future_pa.html

Within the specific boundaries of the design field, Dick Buchanan introduced the concept of four orders of design in 1992 — sometimes paraphrased as Design 1, 2, 3, and 4. There have been several excellent articles since then, by Buchanan himself and others. Dick has written an important new article for the first issue of She Ji — The Journal of Design, Economics, and Innovation. Titled “Worlds in the Making: Design, Management, and the Reform of Organisational Culture,” it is a major new addition to this topic. It will be available in open access when the journal launches in September.

http://www.journals.elsevier.com/she-ji-the-journal-of-design-economics-and-innovation/

Sabine Junginger and Jurgen Faust have an important new book coming out from Bloomsbury. In the UK, you’ll see it at:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Designing-Business-Management-Jurgen-Faust/dp/0857855530/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1438538793&sr=1-5&keywords=Jurgen+Faust

In the US, it is available from:

http://www.amazon.com/Designing-Business-Management-Sabine-Junginger/dp/0857856243/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1438540712&sr=1-1&keywords=Sabine+Junginger

What with Amenemopet starting in 1,000 BCE for the Egyptian civil service and Guan Zhong getting to work in 700 BCE, we’ve been working on how to design organisations, societies, and cultures for a while — in theory and practice both.

I’m just saying, is all.

Ken

p.s. My earlier notes addressed Snow’s concept of the two cultures when Lubomir and Birger raised the concept. Snow’s concept dividing the world among “two cultures” is dated. There are more than two cultures. The reading list I provided is far broader. Nevertheless, the issue of divided and bickering disciplines deserves consideration, and many of Snow’s comments remain valid in this respect. As one colleague recently noted, Snow's concept lingers, though it is less potent than before. A new and more sophisticated concept leaves Snow's dualism behind. The hard divisions remain, but there is an increasing ability to see them more clearly — and usefully — as complementary points of view

Ken Friedman, PhD, DSc (hc), FDRS | Editor-in-Chief | 设计 She Ji. The Journal of Design, Economics, and Innovation | Published by Elsevier in Cooperation with Tongji University | URL: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/she-ji-the-journal-of-design-economics-and-innovation/

Chair Professor of Design Innovation Studies | College of Design and Innovation | Tongji University | Shanghai, China ||| University Distinguished Professor | Centre for Design Innovation | Swinburne University of Technology | Melbourne, Australia